“There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither” –…
Engineering has always been one of the most sought after career options in India. With lakhs of candidates aspiring to become future engineers, the competition is getting tougher over time. After completing school, Engineering aspirants wish to gain admission into the most coveted colleges in the country to kick-start their professional careers.
Interestingly, there are more than 50 engineering entrance exams which are mostly conducted at the undergraduate (UG) level. Engineering has always been one of the most sought after career options in India. With lakhs of candidates aspiring to become future engineers, the competition is getting tougher over time. While some of these exams are conducted at the national level like Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) Main, others are held at the state level or organised in-house by premier engineering institutes.
Being the most popular choice, JEE Main witnesses more than 10 lakh test takers every year. Out of these, only 2.5 lakh qualifiers are allowed to appear for the next step which is JEE Advanced and further seek admission into the IITs through the JoSAA Counselling. The rest of the students fight it out to gain admission into other premier engineering institutes like IIITs, CFTIs, NITs. Those who are unable to make it to any of these institutes look for other engineering colleges who conduct their separate entrance exams.
The article enlists 5 top engineering entrance exams other than JEE, that engineering aspirants must consider –
1. VITEEE – Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) conducts the in-house Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE) every year to select students for its BTech and BDes programs. In 2020, VITEEE will be held from April 13 to April 19, 2020, across multiple venues. Students can apply for VITEEE in both online and offline mode.
2. LPU NEST – Lovely Professional University (LPU) conducts its National Entrance and Scholarship Test (LPU NEST) to select candidates for admissions to its undergraduate and postgraduate programs including BTech. Qualifying students are also eligible to apply for scholarships along with gaining admission into LPU. LPU NEST 2020 will be conducted from January 10 to January 25 in its phase I exam and from April 10 to April 25 in phase 2. Applications for the same will be accepted online only. Get more details here!!
3. MET – Manipal Academy of Higher Education conducts Manipal Entrance Test (MET), formerly known as MU-OET. The exam is a gateway for candidates to seek admission into various programs at the academy including BTech. MET is an online Computer Based Test which will be conducted in the months of April and May 2020. Applications for the same are currently being accepted.
4. KIITEE – Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) conducts its Engineering entrance exam for admission into various programs including BTech. In 2020, KIITEE will be held from April 14 to April 23. Applications for the same must be submitted online by March 31.
5. SRMJEEE UG – SRM Institute of Science and Technology (SRMIST) conducts its Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (SRMJEEE) to select candidates for admission into its BTech courses. It is a university-level exam that acts as a common entrance test for the entire SRM group of institutes. In 2020, SRMJEEE will be conducted from April 12 to April 20. Applications for the same are available both in online and offline mode till March 30.
So, with such diverse options available, students need not wait another year for JEE and should tale these exams to secure admission into the BTech course.
Read more on engineering: